Coastal Scents Hot Pots: Review, Pictures, Swatches
The Coastal Scents Hot Pots were released a few years ago at $5/each and were advertised to be similar to the MAC eyeshadows. Long story short, it's far from MAC quality but at $2 a piece now, they're an absolute steal (I bought mine during the Black Friday sale when they were $1/each). Including this post, I've swatched and reviewed a total of 259 of the 377 available colors (will be updated with the link).
They range from complete fails to brilliant formulas. Most of them have a lot of fall out (think Wet'n'Wild eyeshadows) so you'll run out of these a lot quicker than MAC eyeshadows. As general rules: 1) stay away from the mattes, 2) satin's are above average, 3) shimmery neutral eyeshadows are phenomenal, 4) the swatches on the website are inaccurate (they were probably applied wet). Sure the formula needs some work but with the vast range and low price tag, you'll want to collect a few of the phenomenal shadows yourself.
Overall: Mattes C, Satins B+, Shimmers A-Of the following 9 shades, I would definitely try all the A+/A/A- eye shadows. B+/B shadows are good but there are better.
2) Cherry Moss (shimmery red brown with green duochrome) - A+
3) Gypsy Green (satin green gold) - B+
4) Gypsy Gold (satin antique gold) - B
6) Frosty Taupe (shimmery brown taupe) - A-
7) Green Steel (deep metallic grey green) - A
8) Dark Chocolate (warm dark satin taupe) - A-
9) Cherry Chocolate ( rich, satin red brown) - A